Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Lovely Feet


I was getting ready to speak at a women's retreat and feeling a little bit of anxiety. Then some melody, some chord progression, something during the morning worship reminded me of the old chorus: "How lovely on the mountains are the feet of them who bring good news...Our God Reigns." And it settled my heart. I knew in that moment, God was saying that my size 9 1/2 self-pedicured feet were lovely. That the message I had to share that afternoon was Good News! I was announcing peace and proclaiming news of happiness. I was shouting from the mountains that Our God Reigns. That no matter what happens in life - He is able to redeem and restore. There is nothing He cannot heal, no brokenness He cannot restore!

I can spend a lot of time trying on the shoes in my closet, looking for the best match for some new outfit I've put together. I can also spend a lot of time standing in front of the mirror knowing that the options from my closet are not quite right. That really what I need is something I don't have, like a pair of strappy two-tone platform sandals, or camel boots with a rounded toe. I have to remember when I have shoe envy that I may not have the loveliest shoes but I do have lovely feet. I can cover them with socks and tennis shoes and feel pretty good about that!

How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!" Isaiah 52:7 (NIV)

4 comments:

DavidC said...

Can you really spend all that time finding the right shoes to go with the outfit? You do have lovely feet. This is really an encouraging thought my love. You are amazing!

Unknown said...

We wear the same size shoe.....hmmmmm..thinking we could shoe swap maybe!!!!

Anonymous said...

Totally off the point Ruth!!! LOL. Lovely message Lynn. Very encourageing.

Oderaa

Anne Marie said...

Lynn,
I really enjoy your writing & just subscribed to your blog so can read your beautiful/inspirational posts more often. Love ya'! :-)