Eric Church went for a run with me tonight and I must say, I enjoyed his company. I’ve heard a few of his tunes on the radio but most of the songs on my son’s ipod were new to me. I laughed and cried and replayed Country Music Jesus over and over, my feet hitting the pavement in gospel rhythm. I thought about how great this country music Jesus is and how much I need him in my life.
Let me tell you a little bit about this Jesus through the songs I hear on country radio:
- Jesus Take the Wheel by Carrie Underwood – Country Music Jesus will hear you when you cry for help. But not only does he hear you, he shows up. He rescues. He will always give you one more chance and he doesn't keep track of how often you bow your head to pray.
- I Saw God Today by George Strait- His finger prints really ARE everywhere and if you just open up your eyes – I know you’ll see him loving you today. If you are lucky enough to have a child in your life it will be so much easier to see this Jesus.
- I Believe by Brooks & Dunn– You will find Country Music Jesus in times of loss. He is present in the middle of our pain. There IS more to life than what we see, than the day to day stuff. There is eternity and Jesus will be waiting for you.
- Me & God by Josh Turner – He is a Father and a friend, someone you can talk to. Country Music Jesus forgives. He is a strong arm to lean on when life gets hard. You’ll be amazed by what you can accomplish walking with God.
- He Ain’t the Leaving Kind by Rascal Flatts– Country Music Jesus is with you through thick and thin. He promised he would never leave you, never abandon you. Whatever you do, wherever you go, whether or not you believe – he is there!
- Country Music Jesus by Eric Church– This Jesus doesn’t mind it LOUD – shouting, screaming & banging drums. He comes. He saves. He revives. Country Music Jesus is strong.
I’ll be honest; I really love classic, corny country lyrics. They make me smile and giggle. But what I really love about country music is that it is so connected to the soul of humanity. It’s not unusual to hear inspirational songs on country radio and even the name of Jesus. Brad Paisley put it so well, “Tellin’ folks Jesus is the answer can rub ‘em wrong, …this is country music – and we do.” My hat’s off to all the country artists who do. Thank you.