Wednesday, April 22, 2009

New Mercies

When my son was in kindergarten, I had the privilege of volunteering in his classroom every Friday. I copied, cut and stapled countless little learning tools. It was wonderful to spend that time with our school staff and fun to get to know his classmates. His teacher, Mrs Porter was an extraordinary woman. I remember one morning watching her greet the students as they arrived and thinking, Mrs Porter is just like Jesus. Her mercies are new each morning. I knew after a few months and she had to know, exactly which kiddos were going to bring a challenge to her day but as she welcomed them in the morning there was not a hint of the anticipation of misbehavior. Only fresh new joy in the new day. I was awed by her godliness.


Lamentations 3: 22-23
Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.

The Message Bible says those mercies are created new every morning. Our magnificent Creator God, created the world in just six days. But he wasn't finished, because for each day he creates fresh new merciful love for you and me. So, for whatever happened last year, six months ago, a few weeks ago or yesterday - there is new mercy TODAY. Wow. God does not greet our day thinking, here we go again... they are just going to make the same mistakes they always make. NO! He is just delighted that we are awake...he never sleeps, so he's been waiting.....

I'm not going to walk around kicking myself in the butt for what happened yesterday...I'm just going to reach up and receive new mercies today!


No comments: