Friday, January 22, 2010

Windy Day

It is a blustery day in Texas. My goodness, driving home I had to strengthen my grip on the steering wheel. It felt like the wind would blow us clear off the road! This Texas turbulence has been so noticeable at our new home, perhaps due to the great lack of trees. There is nothing to cut the wind out here in this former farmland.


Inside our home, we are sheltered from the blowing, but constantly reminded by the flapping of air vents. Agh, so annoying, especially at night! I'm sure in pioneer days this was prime dust bowl territory. Boy am I glad I didn't live here back then.


There is a small lake, hmmm, scratch that. There is a large pond as you come into the neighborhood that is rocked by this wind. Often we see white caps rolling in the water and a white foamy froth along the shore. David got a remote control boat for Christmas. He was the only adult that received toys along with the kiddos this year. I love that! They took the boat out for its maiden voyage and decided to try again on a calmer day. It must have been a SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY day. :)


Last week I was driving home right at dusk and it was unusually calm, peaceful, tranquil. The little lake was like glass and reflected a gorgeous Texas sunset. I had to stop. It was breathtaking. The sunset AND it's mirror image in the stillness. In that moment I was reminded of my theme for 2010 - Sit and Listen. And I thought, maybe one reason God is asking me to be still is that He is more clearly reflected in my life, when I am less frenzied...when I am at rest.


2 Corinthians 3:16-18 Whenever, though, they turn to face God as Moses did, God removes the veil and there they are—face-to-face! They suddenly recognize that God is a living, personal presence, not a piece of chiseled stone. And when God is personally present, a living Spirit, that old, constricting legislation is recognized as obsolete. We're free of it! All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face.
And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah,
our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful
as God enters our lives and we become like him.

No comments: