Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Discouragement, Fear and Frustration



God brought his people out of captivity and commissioned them to rebuild his temple. It wasn't easy:
"Then the peoples around them set out to discourage the people of Judah and make them afraid to go on building. They bribed officials to work against them and frustrate their plans...." Ezra 4:4-5
They faced discouragement, fear and frustration as they built a home for God - while they were doing exactly what he asked them to do.

God is not contained by stone structure any more. His Spirit lives inside of you and me. WE are the temple of God. 

I tend to pout when I face discouragement, fear and frustration, don't you? 

When I read this passage, it occurred to me - maybe that's just what happens when you build a temple. Click to tweet

We face discouragement. We get frustrated. Fear happens.

I think sometimes I stumble twice. I stumble over the discouraging event and then I stumble again for feeling discouraged. 

We are going to face challenges but we can't let them keep us down!
  • Don't quit when you feel discouraged.
  • Don't run away and hide if you get scared.
  • Don't let frustration ruin your resolve.
You're building a temple and it's going to be magnificent!

Guess what? 
They did it! 
Despite the opposition. Despite a pause in construction. They finished the temple. And then.....they partied!  

How much sweeter was that celebration after all they'd been through?

Click here to read Part 2



No comments: