Wednesday, September 3, 2008

He's Still My Baby

I went to a baby shower this weekend and it was so lovely. The mother-to-be was radiant. It was hard not to stare at her sweet belly, full of life. For a moment, it all seemed so surreal. I feel like it was yesterday that I was the guest of honor at a baby shower and yet now, my boys are huge. And it's been a long time since I was gushing over a onesie.

Our home doesn't look like a day care any more, but I remember when it did. I also remember those silly older women who said things like "Don't close your eyes, before you know it they are heading off to kindergarten." I would smile at them and think, all I want right now is to close my eyes for one full night of sleep! Ha! Sadly I've realized, I AM one of those silly older women. I can't believe it. When did this happen to me? It's hard to explain, but I have this compelling urge to tell every new mother I see: "Hold that baby close to your chest....let them fall asleep in your arms....and don't close your eyes, because before you know it......you'll be on the sidelines watching football practice! AHHHHH!"

Just last week my dear youngest son asked for a special bedtime: a mug of warm milk, a story and a lullaby. I'll admit it's a little strange singing a lullaby to this big ol' boy but as long as he keeps asking, I'm more than happy to keep singing. His 7 lbs 2 oz sure didn't last for long! Now, he weighs 60 lbs. When I hold him, my arms fall asleep before he does; but in my heart, he'll always be my baby.

No comments: