Thursday, January 15, 2009

Open The Doors!

Tonight we have a special Shine On women's service. These are always so beautiful. The girls show up with a eager hearts to worship and connect with their God - You can sense the expectancy! We are singing a great song called No Sweeter Name.

My favorite lines are:
You are the light to the darkness around me
You are the hope to the hopeless, the broken

Jesus is Light. He is Hope. I've spent some time in a dark, hopeless place and I'd probably still be there if it wasn't for my Jesus shining his light into that darkness. I'm so grateful.

Reading Psalm 24 I am caught by verse 7


7 Lift up your heads, O you gates;
be lifted up, you ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.


I thought of how doors that haven't been opened for a while tend to get stuck, and how gates that stay closed can get rusted shut. We all have dark places inside that we keep behind closed doors. Hidden things. Maybe past mistakes that are still shrouded in shame. Or even bad habits that we keep under wraps. It is really hard to open those doors. But once they get lifted up, and a little light shines through the darkness, things begin to change. When the King of glory comes in...everything changes!


So that is my prayer for our service. That women will experience a new freedom to lift up their hands/their hearts in worship. That ancient doors will be jiggled open, and gates will swing wide. I'm asking God to come in....change circumstances...change lives! He is the only one who can do that. But then Father, if things around us don't change we welcome you to change our attitudes...change our perspectives. Help us see what you are doing on the INSIDE: Shine on!

No comments: