Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cultivating Curiosity in Your Children


Children are naturally inquisitive although often at inopportune times. Over the years, I've found my boys' curiosity peaks at bedtime. I'm happy to answer their questions but I am a little suspicious of the timing. 

Questions are an opportunity and I find myself missing the questions my boys asked when they were younger. Now days they can google for answers and do their own research.

Recently I was challenged when I read these instructions from Moses: 

 “In days to come, when your son asks you, ‘What does this mean?’ say to him, ‘With a mighty hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. Exodus 13:14

Am I creating opportunities for curiosity?  How could I commemorate God's work in my life in a way that would create questions? God has delivered me. Do I remember in a way that my kids notice and stop to ask, "What happened? Why do you do this?"

Here are the ideas I've come up with so far:
  • Share communion together
  • Celebrate my NEW-birth date
  • Renew our wedding vows
  • Have a debt-free feast day
  • Make #TransformationTuesday really significant

Verse 8 of this same chapter in Exodus says: 
On that day tell your son (or daughter), ‘I do this because of what the Lord did for me when I came out of Egypt.’ 
Here is my challenge, to fill in the blanks with my story:

I do _______ because of what the Lord did for me when _________.

How would you fill in the blanks with your story?

No comments: