Thursday, May 15, 2014

Need a Breakthrough?


Have airplane spaces shrunk? I’m cramped between the window and some guy reading an enormous textbook that spills over into my allotment.  I’m speaking at a women’s conference this weekend so I’m working on my message, typing on my laptop, elbows in, when the guy in front of me leans his seat back.  The latch from the tray table catches the top of my lap top. I hear a crunching sound and yank it toward me. This space keeps shrinking. Tightening all around me. I feel like the world is closing in.

I give up.
The message will have to wait.
I can’t think in this small space.

I click save and fold the screen, twisting and bending to tuck my computer under the seat in front of me.

When my neighbor reaches for his water bottle, I slide MY elbow on the arm rest between us.  Ah-ha! I’m taking ground, three more inches of space and it feels like I’ve conquered Asia.

With my laptop gone, elbows out and the tray table returned to its upright and locked position, I can breathe again. I plug headphones into my much smaller smart phone and seek an escape.

Are you grateful for music, for the way a song transports and transforms? 

My fingers press imaginary piano keys. I breathe with the phrasing, surrender to the rhythm. Grace washes over me.

My friend Josh Lopez just released a new project called Let’s Love and this song Breakthrough is helping me see beyond my cramped quarters.

It’s been a difficult trip with difficult circumstances and difficult conversations. I didn’t sleep well. I am weary and running low on hope. But as Josh sings, I feel God loving, restoring and mending me. I feel hope rising up in my heart too. I remember my redemption story and somehow I find the courage to believe that God can redeem these circumstances.  I choose to trust him.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, 

so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

The music builds. My heart swell. I relinquish my hold on the arm rest and REST.
Do you need a breakthrough? Find a quiet place to sit and soak up this beautiful song. Invite God to break through you.



I'd love to hear from you - share your breakthrough moment!

Originally published at A Bundle of THYME

No comments: