Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Still



We had a big ol' Texas thunderstorm last night. I would have slept right through it, but a precious little boy came to my bedside and woke me up. "I'm scared Momma, will you come snuggle with me?" Of course, I could never say no to an invitation like that. I climbed out of my bed and into his and just held him. I'm still a little bigger than him, so I wrapped him up in my arms and snuggled in close. The storm raged on. We watched the lightning flash outside his window together. I'm not sure I said anything, I was just near. That seemed to be enough. I stayed there with him for a while until his brother came and found us and asked for his own snuggle time. It feels good to be needed.


I remembered our sweet interaction this morning when we were singing Still. I feel so small today, and I embrace the idea of knowing there is a God who is bigger than me, than what I know or what I see. I need to feel his strong arms wrapped around me. The winds of change are blowing, and I'm not at all fond of change. Storms are raging - economic storms, political storms, relational storms. I need rest. I need to be still and know that He is God. Thankfully, I don't have to shake and wake Him to get his attention in the middle of my nights. He never sleeps. I can't stop the storms that roll through our neighborhood. For some reason, although I believe He COULD, God doesn't always stop the storms that roll through my life. Maybe he likes to hear my voice call out to him. Maybe he wants me to know that I need him, that I don't have to rely on myself alone. Whatever the case, he did promise to be with me. To be close. Finding rest in the middle of the storm. It seems unthinkable but that's exactly what I find when He is near.


Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God...

No comments: