Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Stations of the Cross

I am digging in my heels this week and refusing to be swept away. Refusing to surrender to the chaos of all that needs to be done in preparation for Easter and choosing to surrender to the heart of the story.



I thought about all-out fasting this week but I just can't do it. I don't care if I ever see another bean in my life. Last night was our last beans and rice meal and we are all rejoicing! With the physical demands of our rehearsal schedule and late nights this week, wisdom is telling me that my body will need good healthy fuel. I feel like Jesus is suggesting.... instead of taking more away this week how about adding something?



OK, I can do that.



One thing that I know will help is our plan to attend the Stations of the Cross as a family this Friday, April 2nd. (You can join us from 5-9pm in the Shoreline Special Event Center, which is the first building on your left as you enter our campus from Burnet Rd.) We went two years ago and it was an amazing worship experience. I have a great anticipation about attending this year. I went through an online version of the Stations today and was so touched by how personal each reading was.



This story of Jesus' Passion is not just church history, something that happened hundreds of years ago. It was and is and will always be a NOW story. Paul emphasizes this is 2 Corinthians 6



As God's fellow workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain. For he says,

"In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you."

I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.



Now is the day. Now is the time. Its amazing how this story changed history, forever altered the future yet is meant to be experienced TODAY. How can I remember the cross today?


I can sing redemption songs. I love Paul Baloche's new project Glorious I think I'll keep it in my van this week.


I can read my Bible, there's a thought! Walking with Jesus in Matthew 26, or Mark 14 or Luke 22 or John 16.


I can remember all that the cross has done for me. My sin, my shame, my guilt, my pain, all nailed to the cross (see Colossians 2)
I can pray


Beautiful Savior. Dear Lamb of God. Help me to remember you this week. To know the love that held you to that cross. To glory in your surrender to the will of the Father. To rest in the finished work of grace. Hosanna! Save NOW!
If you are interested in learning more and actively participating in Lent this year visit this website of daily Lenten Prayers and Scripture Readings

No comments: