Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Trinity

So I was making one of these new bean recipes and the instructions read "saute the trinity" meaning the onions, celery and green bell pepper. I've heard Rachel Ray use this word as a cooking term as well. This is the problem....no one in my family likes bell pepper so I always leave it out...and I was wondering which member of the trinity is represented by the bell pepper....I wouldn't want to leave any ONE out of my life's recipe!


I'm being silly. Seriously now, how often do you think about this Three in One aspect of our God? Our Opening Prayer each day ends with this sentence: Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. God the Father, Jesus the son, and the Holy Spirit = The One True God.

The Shack is a wonderful fiction book that helped me experience the mystery of the Trinity in a new way. In each of our earthly relationships there is usually a dominant personality, isn't there? In The Shack, William Paul Young presents this picture of equality within our triune God that was so intriguing. Quoting Sarayu who represents the Holy Spirit: "We are in a circle of relationship. not a chain of command...What you're seeing here is relationship without any overlay of power. We don't need power over the other because we are always looking out for the best. Hierarchy would make no sense among us." The character representing Jesus goes on to say of humans: "You rarely see or experience relationships apart from power. Hierarchy imposes laws and rules and you end up missing the wonder of relationship that we intended for you"

I'm challenged today to think about The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit in perfect union and how that might be reflected in my relationships.



If you are interested in learning more and actively participating in Lent this year visit this website of daily Lenten Prayers and Scripture Readings

No comments: