Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Daily Lent Prayer

It is very interesting, each day at the top of our Praying Lent readings there is a Daily Lent Prayer and would you believe it is the same prayer for each day? I know because, well, I noticed the pattern this week and then I looked ahead and there it is every week for each new day:


It is right out of Psalm 51:15: Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.


Honestly, I'm not sure I get what is so "lenty" about this passage. It doesn't seem to be about fasting or the cross. I've had a few days to ponder the connection, and maybe in week 5 it will mean even more...that is just the kind of thing this Living Book will do. But here are my thoughts today: So the first word is "Lord" and I thought of how many times I open my mouth unaware of his nearness or not mindful in that moment of what he would want my lips to say. Sheesh, just yesterday I said some unkind things to a loved one that I had to apologize for. What a prayer not only for each day but all day...Lord, you reign over my words.


The next phrase "open my lips" frankly flips things the other way for me, and I think of how many times I remain silent because I'm afraid of rocking the boat. Or because it's just easier to cope and deny than confront an issue. Lord, open my lips when it is time to speak. Help me not to bury and stuff and avoid. Give me the courage to speak the truth in love.


Moving on..."MY mouth will declare YOUR praise". OK, so sometimes my mouth declares my praise. Sometimes my mouth declares the praises of men. God wants to use my mouth to declare HIS praise. To draw attention to him. To lift him up so he can draw all men unto himself.


What a great daily prayer .....still not sure about the lenten connection :)




If you are interested in learning more and actively participating in Lent this year visit this website of daily Lenten Prayers and Scripture Readings

No comments: