Monday, February 22, 2010

Beans!

Growing up in North Dakota there were three kind of beans. Green beans, the only edible kind as far as I was concerned. Pork 'n' beans which made a seasonal appearance at family picnics complete with thin slices of hot dog. And the dreaded kidney beans in my mom's chili, they were the worst! That hard red shell and pasty white center...gag!


It wasn't until I moved to the southern regions of our fair country that I discovered there are more beans than I could have imagined. Red beans, Ranch Style Beans, Black Beans, Pinto beans, and Black eyes peas which are just like beans if you ask me! As it is with most things in life, foods that we are not exposed to as children can take a while longer to embrace. That's how it is with me and beans. I just don't like 'em.


Never the less, here I am searching cooks.com for recipes. If you have any please send them my way! We decided to eat beans and rice for dinner as a family every Monday during Lent. First as a way to fast or abstain from our normal diet remembering all that Jesus surrendered for us. Second as a way to express solidarity with the poor. Knowing that half of the world's population lives on less than 2 dollars a day and rice and beans would be a decent meal for many.

It is too easy, especially as Americans, to see what we don't have. It comes at us from every angle. But on Mondays we hope to spend a little less time thinking about what we don't have and a little more time gratefully celebrating what we do have. All over a pot of beans.

I was serious about the recipes.



If you are interested in learning more and actively participating in Lent this year visit this website of daily Lenten Prayers and Scripture Readings





No comments: