Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ash Wednesday






I went to James Avery in December and bought my husband a beautiful (but manly) cross necklace for Christmas. Not because he wanted a piece of jewelry, not because he liked the idea of people seeing him wear a cross, but because he wanted something tangible that he could put on each morning and remember. Remember that Jesus' brutal suffering and death on a cursed cross was for HIM. It was for all of us. He had never sinned, but became sin so that WE could become righteous. It's the great exchange.


All around the world today, Christians will attend church services and leave with an ashen cross on their forehead. I can remember doing it as a child. I won't have ashes on my forehead today. But I am wearing the cross necklace my brother and sister-in-law gave me for my birthday. Not because it matches my outfit, but so I can remember too.


This Lent, I want to enter the story of the death and resurrection of Jesus more fully. To remember how much my life needed redeeming and how completely lost I am without a Saviour!





2 Corinthians 5:20-6:2




Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. And working together with Him, we also urge you not to receive the grace of God in vain-- for He says, AT THE ACCEPTABLE TIME I LISTENED TO YOU, AND ON THE DAY OF SALVATION I HELPED YOU." Behold, now is "THE ACCEPTABLE TIME," behold, now is "THE DAY OF SALVATION"





If you are interested in learning more and actively participating in Lent this year visit this website of daily Lenten Prayers and Scripture Readings




No comments: