Thursday, July 17, 2008

Capture My Heart

This weekend at Shoreline South, we have planned to sing Your Love Is Extravagant by Darrell Evans. I just love this song, it's been around for a while but it is such a beautiful, poetic love song to the Lord.

I was thinking about the last line "Capture my heart again" and I thought...gee I should find a scripture to share, surely there is a verse in the Bible that says that....somewhere...

Well, it was interesting. In my search for "capture" everything that came up was in the context of battle. The enemy was captured. The city was captured. The temple treasure was captured. Taken. Seized by force. Apprehended. Arrested.

I did find the phrase "capture my heart" in Song of Solomon 4 in the Message Bible: You've captured my heart, dear friend. You looked at me, and I fell in love. One look my way and I was hopelessly in love! How beautiful your love, dear, dear friend....

But it is the voice of the Lover to the beloved. The voice of the Father to the child. God says to us "You've captured MY heart. I'm seized, overtaken, arrested by my love for you." Amazing...
Just like the song says, we see this extravagant love spread wide in the arms of Christ.

My heart is often complacent, easily distracted. Could it ever be completely captured?
Oh Jesus! Seize me. Arrest me. Overtake me.......capture this heart Lord!

Here I am, raising my white flag. I surrender.

1 comment:

Lexie said...

Wow. That's something to think about...capture in battle and capture in love. Also, it's hard to understand that we have captured His heart in such a way. Thanks for giving me something to chew on today.