Thursday, June 5, 2008

Wound Management

I love to read and when I can't get my hands on a book, just about anything will do. So, I read lots of labels, and the other day I read Mederma. Short, but thought provoking. One line stuck out "The LEADER in Scar Management" Scar management. That makes me sad. Not scar healing. Not even scar treatment. I have a whole collection of scars from a recent bicycle wreck. I wasn't planning on managing them.....I was hoping to vanish them! Surely there is another product whose label reads "The leader in the magical disappearance of scars" .....Kinda long.

So here is my Mederma theology as it applies, at least in my mind, to scars of the soul. Management is not the first step. The label clearly reads: Not intended for use on open wounds.

Step one - Wash. Oh the stinging!
Step two -Ward off infection, cover and protect.
Step three - Scab formation, hardening.
Step four - Realize I need help - call the Physician.
Step five - Follow Dr's orders. Care for wounds.
Step six - Management

According to the label, Mederma should be applied 3-4 times a day for 8 weeks on new scars, and 3-4 times a day for 3-6 months on existing scars. Three-four times a day. That is frequent care. There is a pretty short list of things that I choose to do 3-4 times a day. But a wound needs care. Lesson number two - the longer I wait to care for my wounds, the longer they take to heal.

Life leaves scars. Will they ever vanish completely? I doubt it. Jesus still has his.

I'm hoping there is a Step Seven....hmmm....what would that be? Peace? Blending-in? My scars say: I live life, I fall because I ride. I have carpet burns because I wrestle. I tackle....I make contact. But with proper care, hopefully my scars are not the first thing you see on me.

No comments: