Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Roaring River

The Gallatin River flows through Big Sky, Montana. Usually at about 1500 cfs. But thanks to late June snowfall it was around 4500 cfs during our stay. It was ROARING! For some bizarre reason, my oldest son - the cautious one - got it in his head that he wanted to go white water rafting. This, of course, made no sense to me. I suggested that the guys could do the raft trip while I have a spa day back at the resort. Did I mention that the water temperature was 44 degrees? That is hypothermia waiting to happen! I told my husband "I do NOT want to do this." He responded brilliantly: "Maybe it's our children's turn to challenge us to try something new" Great, thanks for that Babe....

We stopped by the rafting company just to check it out and get more information right when a previous group was returning. I stopped an older woman to ask her how the trip was, hoping it was terrifying and completely inappropriate for children. She said she had never had so much fun or laughed so hard in her whole life....then she added "and I don't even swim". I know that God planted her in my path. If this non-swimmer was willing to ride the rapids, I guess I oughta give it a try. We made a reservation for the late afternoon trip and rented wet suits and booties all around.

The toughest question I had to face was what do I do if one of my boys falls out. Because I know I'm going to want to jump in after them, but then there would be two people to rescue. Ugh! Thankfully I never had to make that decision. We all managed to stay in the boat. HA! That's funny, becuase for me, this was definitely a "stepping-out-of-the-boat" experience. Honestly, we had a BLAST! It was amazing to ride on the water as it carved it's way through the mountains.

Thanks to my dear boy who held on tight to his desire. Thanks to my husband for his insightful challenge. And thanks to a courageous lady in the locker-room who shared her experience with such exuberance! I'm so glad I didn't miss out. I can get a mani-pedi any day.


Psalm 46:1-4 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.

3 comments:

DavidC said...

And it was great fun. Of course I just love doing life with you.

Anonymous said...

I just read all your blogs. Wow they are amazing. You have great insight. I couldn't help but think of the time Dave Duell prayed over you when you were in your teens and said that God was going to use your hands in a mighty way for him. I always thought it was going to be in music but God had other plans. I agree with David that I see a devotional coming. I am sure it would be of great help to anyone needing a word of encouragement for the day.
I am proud of you and hope you keep on bloging.
I love you, Mom

Lynn Marie Cherry said...

Mom...I'm totally blessed that you took the time to read them all! Wow! Thank you for your encouragement..it means so much to me!