Thursday, December 11, 2008

Psalm 82 - Injustice

A couple nights ago we listened to a podcast about issues of violent injustice. Modern-day slavery, corrupt governments. The speaker asked the question....how can people suffering under this type of oppression believe that there is a God and that he is good? He went on to suggest that God has a plan to show them his goodness. Ummm...ya...His plan is You and Me. Seriously. That's the plan. WE go and do and show God's love, his goodness expressed through our actions. I just want to shake my head. God, what are you thinking? I hope you have a backup plan. Because I don't think we've been doing our part. At least I know I haven't been doing mine.
Isn't it amazing how a book written hundreds of years ago still speaks to TODAY?
Psalm 82
A Psalm of Asaph. AMP
1God stands in the assembly [of the representatives] of God; in the midst of the magistrates or judges He gives judgment [as] among the gods.

3Do justice to the weak (poor) and fatherless; maintain the rights of the afflicted and needy.

4Deliver the poor and needy; rescue them out of the hand of the wicked.

5[The magistrates and judges] know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in the darkness [of complacent satisfaction]; all the foundations of the earth [the fundamental principles upon which rests the administration of justice] are shaking.

6I said, You are gods [since you judge on My behalf, as My representatives]; indeed, all of you are children of the Most High.

So can you guess where I see myself? I am not fatherless, I have a great dad. I am not poor. I have everything I need and more. I'm not in verse 3 or 4. No...I'm in verse 5. Walking on in the darkness of complacent satisfaction. Doesn't that sound gross? Like, don't you just want to spit that out? The darkness of complacent satisfaction. Yuck! Satisfaction is nice, it's the complacent part that turns my stomach. I need to be uncomfortable with this. God is trusting ME to be his representative on the earth. I'm the plan. Help me Lord! Keep shining your light on this darkness!

2 comments:

lactobacillus medication said...

This is such an interesting blog. You are very knowledgeable about this subject.

philocarpine said...

Thank you again for your flawless service, and I look forward to working with you in the future.